Wednesday, August 7, 2013

My favourite female author

Dear jumjum...



  I'm not like Z and V who enjoys the books my father reads about lawyers and crimes and the mafia... I once tried reading a book about Lee Kuan Yew and was bored to death, except for the part about how he met and courted his late wife. I'm the dumb one who reads mostly chick lits, but lately I've grown really sick of them. Perhaps because I've read too many of them or because I've just grown out of them. Anyway the books I really do enjoy currently are those by international best-selling author Cecelia Ahern...but I'm not really sure if her books fall into the chick lit category, they probably do, but in like, upper-class chick lit.

  Okay so about Cecelia- she is the daughter of the former prime minister of Ireland, Bertie Ahern. She used to be in an Irish pop group! This is news to me. She obtained a degree in journalism and media communications. Besides writing novels, she also created and produced the ABC comedy Samantha Who? and she has a daughter and a son with her partner. Also, I just found out that her sister married one of the Westlife guys.






  I just finished reading one of her latest, The Time of My Life and I think it's one of her best. Most of Cecelia's books are erm...fictional? I don't like using that word to describe it but I can't think of anything else. It's fictional in a very beautiful way. Like a fairy tale without the fairies and elves. Hahaha. This sounds ridiculous. For example, Thanks For the Memories revolves around the idea that the recipient of a blood transfusion also receives the memories of the blood donor. A Place Called Here is about a young detective who is obsessed with finding missing things and missing persons, and one day she herself goes missing and she ends up in the place where all missing things go. The Gift is about a career-obsessed man who is running out of time but doesn't know it. He meets a homeless man (after finishing the book I conclude the man is something like his guardian angel) who gives him the ability to be in two places at once so that he doesn't have to choose between his job and family during the last days of his life. 

  It sounds so cheesy when I summarise the stories like that but like I said before, it is written in a really beautiful and realistic way. They're the kind of stories that make you really think about it after you finish it. 



  Not all of her novels are fictional- Where Rainbows End is one of my favourites, and she tells the entire story (save the last chapter) by notes, letters, cards and emails between two childhood friends and their loved ones and not a single dialogue or desciption, and I think that is totally amazing! P.S. I Love You is her debut and most popular novel about a woman who loses the love of her life to cancer, and on her birthday she finds a bundle of notes from him, gently guiding her into her new life without him, each signed ‘PS, I Love You’. Oh yes, it was also made into a movie! It was the first of her books that I read in 2008, introduced and lent to my sister by her friend. The reason I don't own that book is because I cried again and again throughout the book, and so I alwas prefer to buy her new books than buy one that I already read and cried buckets over. But it's been so long since I read it- I think I'm gonna get it the next time I see it. 




  Anyway I highly, highly recommend her books to anyone who is as eng as me now. Just let me know and I can lend it to you anytime =) Also, I have the entire Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella and some of her other books, all ten of The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot and some other random chick lits to lend. 

  Find all of her books here: http://uk.cecelia-ahern.com/books/

*atm*

No comments: