Saturday, June 15, 2013

Songs with Memories

Dear jumjum...

 All my life I have unintentionally associated songs with memories and I'm sure that I'm not the only one. It's pretty cool how listening to an old song can stir up the exact memory and feeling and emotions you had and felt at that certain point in life.

  When we were living in Kajang, Selangor, my dad used to help my mum sweep and mop the floor every Saturday morning and I remember waking up to the tunes of the Bee Gees and Air Supply blasting downstairs and my dad singing along and I would be so excited that the weekend has started and that my dad didn't need to go to work for the next two days. 


  During one of our trips back to Kuching before we moved back, my sister, mum and I, influenced by my late grandmother, were obsessed over this chinese drama series 偷龙转凤, and we would all huddle near the tevlevision set after dinner. It was also the time when I leant to sing 逃亡- I don't remember if that was the theme song or our cousin just happened to play it all the time, but I always associate that song to that series. Also, I believe that was the first chinese song that I learnt the full lyrics to too.




  For our primary 6 graduation ceremony, my friend and I performed Now and Forever by Richard Marx and then we also sang 隐形的翅膀 together with the other class. I remember how excited I was to be finally graduating and no longer going to 'kid-school', and how I couldn't wait to join my sister in sceondary school.

  I also remember singing Teenagers by My Chemical Romance back and forth together with Edric in form 1. We used to compete to see who could sing it the fastest and with the most vehemently lol! 

  Song of the year in form 2 was Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis. I used to sing it all day, everyday- I would put my phone in the shower cap hanging on the door so I could sing while bathing. And because of that, every time the song came on in the car my mum used to joke and sing 'Keep bathing, keep keep bathing' instead of bleeding xD



  Form 3 post-PMR song was the Black Eyed Peas' I Got A Feeling and it was SO appropriate since it's a very club-dancing, upbeat sort of song that described our mood at that time so very well.




  If We Ever Meet Again by Timberland ft Katy Perry reminds me of form 4 when I had a crush on a senior, and we were in the midst of organising prefects' dinner and Freda and I were also preparing for the science show competition. I remember just feeling really busy but contented. 

  Just before SPM I was learning to play Allegro op. 50 no. 1 on my guitar and it was a time when everything was crazy with exam stress, sadness of leaving secondary school and all the conflicts that were going on and I remember not being able to sleep, I would pick up my guitar and practice as softly as I could to vent my frustrations. And even now whenever I play that song it sounds even more violent than it should...




  
  I generally do not listen to Korean songs as a rule, but thanks to my crazy friends everytime I hear Big Bang's Fantastic Baby I think of our time in A Levels. Ahhh. And the boys surrounding MiaoMiao and serenating her during our first field trip...

  Last year when I was watching Pitch Perfect I was so happy to hear No Diggity again! I remember listening to that song sometime in my childhood and I really liked the beat but had no idea what it was called or what they were rapping about...





*atm*

2 comments:

shattered_heart said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G3_kG5FFfQ

Avril Lavigne - When You're Gone

Not sure if you remember me telling you this, but this song reminds me of you. Every single time. Up until today.

We were so naive.

jumnicole said...

Ahhh I only just saw your comment! I vaguely remember...so sorreeee! >.< Indeed we were..