Saturday, June 22, 2013

8 days as Relief Teacher

Dear jumjum...

  Okay so on the last day of exam Mdm Soon came up to my table after the papers were collected and told me that Mdm Armstrong wanted to see me. I was super freaked out because the last time she came to look for me was to scold me for parking at the front gate! I got Cam to accompany me to her class, and Mdm Armstrong was like, "The Chemistry teacher at national is on leave for two weeks and they need someone who knows Chem to sit in, would you be interested?" Interested? I was MORE than interested!

  The night before I was to start work, I wasn't feeling so confident anymore. In my head I was thinking, I suck at Chem! And the reaction the ex-national Lodgians gave me when they heard didn't help either: "Huh?! Good luck man..." 

  The teacher had already allocated worksheets for them to do each day, and all I had to do was make sure they did it and to answer any questions they had. So the day before, I would do my revision on the chapter and complete the worksheets myself to make sure that I got it all down pat before the kids do it. 


  Anyway the first day wasn't so bad, I think because the kids didn't know me they were kinda subdued and scared...but the second day was really bad. They basically realised that I'm not as fierce as their real Chem teacher and started pushing the boundaries, and so from the third day onwards I put my foot down. I tried to start each class with a quiz, but in order to not scare them too much I gave it a funny name- "Is (insert class here) a Jumjum or a Dumdum?", and basically called up random names from the class list and made them answer questions related to their worksheet that day. Some classes were really funny, when anyone got it wrong they'd yell "Dumdum!" and boo them lol. Once I could more or less control the classes it was pretty fun, amd from then on I started to bond with some of the kids, which made leaving them really hard =(


  I was told I had to be in school for a minimum of 6 hours each day, so whenever I didn't have classes I'd be in the staffroom preparing for the next day. And when that was done I'd be bored to tears! So from the second day onwards I started bringing my advanced biology book to read and kill time... And of course, there was the near constant office gossip going on in the staffroom to keep me entertained!



   Sadness of having lunch everyday alone at my cubicle...except the last day when some teachers got me to sit with them in the canteen.


Ms Carrie!


  Very few teachers talked to me, and they all seemed really busy and it made me feel pretty ashamed of myself and so I pretended to look busy too heh heh. Ms Carrie and Mr Kelvin were really nice and helpful though, telling me where my classes were, reminding me of my sit-ins, chatting with me and the such. And in my last two days I approached Cikgu Anita (everyone's favourite Biology teacher) and she gave me all the advice and shared her experiences with me.

  All in all, I quite enjoyed my time there. The last day was hard, though...the kids had some camp that night so a lot of them went home already, and so had most of the teachers, but I had two sit-ins with classes that I wasn't familiar with =( and the whole school looked like it was the zombie apocolypse, all quiet and lonely =((

  Oh yea! During one of the periods with 5D, I was flipping through the notice board at the back and out of nowhere jumped out this big dark lizard! And I was so shocked I did a mighty leap backwards (in my tight black skirt) THANK GOODNESS I didn't scream!!! Only one girl saw me and she was laughing her head off! Ahhh 丢脸!!!

  Oh and teh youngest that students and teachers guessed me to be was 23, the oldest....28! =O sadness!






























Someone took a pic of me on one of my 'patrols' making sure everyone was doing their work...and I had no idea I looked so sour grapes! ><






  On another note, HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAM!!! Lessthanthreeyou! Can't wait to spend all 24 hours of the next 9 days with you! =D


*atm*


No comments: