Sunday, September 8, 2013

Identity Crisis!

Dear jumjum...





  When people here ask me where I'm from I usually reply that I'm Malaysian- but then they assume I'm Malay and that I don't speak Chinese. So then I started telling people that I'm Malaysian Chinese- and some people will go, "huh? How can you be both?" Grrrrrr. I begin by saying ''Three or four generations ago, my ancestors...'' Oh yes. I should also mention that even the Malaysians here tell me I don't look Malaysian! =(

  Some of them who might know some Malaysians would automatically assume that I speak Cantonese =( Then I have to explain that where I grew up, we speak Hokkien...and shamefully admit that I never watch TVB dramas. 

  Also, I hear the Chinese nationals speak Chinese all the time, and I am constantly reminded of how my own Chinese is so...err...inaccurate. My Chinese is already considered inaccurate in my hometown, what more to say compared to the Mainlanders- which brings me to my next point- I have no native language!!! =O Seriously. The Hongkees are native Canto speakers, the Koreans are native Korean speakers, the angmos are native English speakers (or any other European language), the Indonesians speak Indon, and I'm one Malaysian who definitely does no speak Malay as well as the Malays do.

  I grew up speaking English, but it doesn't make a native speaker...I try to speak proper English with the people I meet here but once I meet a fellow Malaysian, *snap!* Malaysian English it is! But the main point is I don't speak with a proper English accent =( or proper Chinese or Malay accent. Which makes me very sad =(

*atm*

2 comments:

The Bathroom Poet said...

Can't seem to convince people that I'm not from CHINA! =O

Meh =/

jumnicole said...

Hahaha you very Cina meh????