Saturday, September 21, 2013

Mooncake Festival and Sunburnt

Dear jumjum...

  Celebrated (gonna be accurate here, even though Mooncake Festival sounds fun-er) Mid Autumn Festival with my aunt & her in laws on Thursday night. The queue at the bus station was crazy! Waited two whole hours for one freaking bus. I wanted to wear a nice dress for a change but then I realised that my last class was Chem lab =( so t-shirt, long jeans and sports shoes it was. Thank goodness my neighbour helped me bring my lab coat and shoes back to the dorm while I rushed to join the bus queue. Had lots of good food, and my cousin's cousins from his dad's side were playing the piano and singing and talking and joking in Cantonese. It was really nice of them to let me join!

 Okay I'm not gonna lie. I didn't study AT ALL today. But I have valid reasons! Woke up late today because for some reason I couldn't sleep last night. Okay maybe it was the coffee. Anyway I spent my whole day at the swimming pool today, helping out with the inter-mural swim meet (only because we get 8 hours for it in the compulsory Health 1010 Course, and I haven't exercised at all so my log is basically 0 now and we HAVE to pass this course to graduate).

  So I was in the 'Stroke and turn judge' team, which basically meant we were helping the judge to watch the swimmers and disqualify people. The two other girls on the team were mainland Chinese, so I felt like I was in an 8 hour Chinese class all over again! But they said my Chinese is not bad though, among the internationals they knew =D probably because I was being very careful and pronouncing every word slowly and carefully... The local guy on the team offered to help with my Cantonese and asked me to practice speaking to him but I was so shy!

  I was assigned to hold the programme book and let the judge know what was up next, and follow him along the pool holding the 'disqualify forms' and helping him fill it in when he tells me to. And I was in the sun all day! I borrowed my roommate's cap and carried a bottle of sunblock with me, applying it between rounds, but still I look like a tomato now! 

  Being on duty for a sports meet brings back memories! Of St John Ambulance duties and getting sunburnt afterward. It also reminded me of our Form 5 craziness plan, where a bunch of us joined the inter-school swim meet, against the pros, even though I had never taken a swimming lesson in my life. It was so hilarious and definitely worth the embarrassment (came in last for every individual match I joined, but third in the 100m relay with Freda,Cam and Joyce =D)

  Anyway I was planning to go to church this evening because of Typhoon Usagi tomorrow, but I couldn't make it. But based on the predictions, I can probably make it tomorrow morning. I came back to my dorm, showered and passed out on the bed for half an hour. And then Patricia (I can use your name now, right? Since you already know xD) the European and I went for our first dance workshop!! YAY! After 9 years in limbo I finally joined a dance society! So happy!! And grateful that Patricia was there to laugh at ourselves with me. I looked like I was embarrassed throughout the session though, thanks to my sunburn! 




*atm*

2 comments:

Terence said...

Gosh, I have missed the chance to signed up for the volunteering work! It seems fun!

I like your writing! Do write more, hehe :)

jumnicole said...

Thank you! Just read your blog and I enjoyed it too! =)