Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Primary School Days I: First Best Friend

Dear jumjum...




My 1E classroom was the first classroom on the left side, ground floor. Admin office was the middle section, ground floor. The hall was middle section, 3rd floor and the staffroom below it.



  I attended primary school at 加影育华小学 SRJK(C) Yu Hua , Kajang, Selangor from primary one to four and was really upset to leave when we moved to Kuching. It is a massive school, with around 50 students per class and classes A to K in each year, so primary 1 to 3 in the afternoon session and 4 to 6 in the morning. The school has computer rooms, music rooms, 视听室, big library, basketball courts and chess and ping pong tables where all the boys would run to during breaks, and it was totally different from SK Song Kheng Hai, the primary school I moved to- back then it didn't have a music or computer room and the library was super small. The primary and secondary school are built side by side with a big gate cutting off the primary side from the secondary side, but we shared a canteen so the canteen was massive too, with a main caterer and several minor stalls around, like a mini food court. 

 I was in 1E, and we used to call ourselves the 'E 班人' cause it sounded like 伊班人(Iban). LOL. So anyway I was really excited for my first day of school, I told my mum I could handle it and asked her to go home.  I sat together with this small sized girl (I've forgotten her name and her face) and we started talking. (huge challenge for me, a girl who grew up speaking English and only knew she had a Chinese name at age 4) I made a big effort to try and speak in Chinese because I thought that if my classmates knew I spoke English, they'll laugh at me... Anyway that girl and I agreed to sit together for the rest of the year, but the very next day she changed her mind and sat with the girl behind me! =( I was really annoyed cause now I looked like an outcast, sitting alone. 

  A few days later there was a late comer, accompanied by her mother. I was so excited because this  meant that I could potentially change my lonely situation! I don't know where I got my guts from, but I kept pointing at the seat beside me when the teacher was looking for a place for her, and I got my wish! Her name was 家芸.

 A few days later my mum came to class to look for me- I don't remember what she was telling me but I remember that she was holding this silver umbrella. My mum always speaks to me in English. When she left, 家芸 exclaimed in a super excited voice, "You speak English at home? Me too!!!" We immediately switched to English and that was when we really hit it off. Turns out, all the while we were both struggling to converse in Chinese with each other! It was hilarious! She became my first best friend- we joined the dance troupe together, we went to each others' house a lot, and I used to call her even after I moved to Kuching..I think the last time I called her was after PMR results were released. To this day, I can still remember her house phone number and we're also friends on FB. (I hope she doesn't read this and get creeped out hahaha) I can't believe I can't find any pictures of us together! Ish. 



*atm*

No comments: