Thursday, April 24, 2014

Catch Up

Dear jumjum...

  I've been so busy and neglecting my blog! Just a quick update on March and April...

  Well Val and Zac were supposed to come to HK at the end of March for our Siblings' Getaway before Val starts work. I was super excited, planning the itinerary a month in advance and saving up $ so that we won't have to worry too much about finances while they were here. Then about two or three weeks before they were to come, Kong was admitted to the hospital. The doctors said it was serious, so the overseas uncles and aunts were all going back to Kuching. Nearing the date, Kong was still in the hospital so our family decided they shouldn't come. I was beyond disappointed. About three days before the supposed-to-be-cancelled-trip, Val called me while I was in the library- at first I thought Kong had passed on but she told me that Kong was out of the hospital and he seemed well enough- they were sticking to the original plan. That set me up in hives! I had so much to prepare because I sort of took a step back from studying at full-pace since I would have more free time if they were not coming. On the day of their arrival, 2 hours before my Chem midterm, I was trying to relax a bit and went on FB- to see that my cousin had posted RIP Grandpa...so I texted Mum (who, I suppose, didn't want to break the news just before my midterm) and she confirmed it. Basically, the month of March was an emotional roller coaster for me! Excited-disappointed-acceptance-renewed excitement-sadness. Meanwhile, Zac had just arrived at the airport and was waiting for Val to arrive. The poor kid was so excited about his first flight alone and was enjoying HK that I didn't have the heart to tell him. Eventually dad decided that since they were here, we might as well enjoy as much of the trip as possible, and he left it up to us to decide if we wanted to go for the funeral. Of course we did! So we spent Wed night til Friday night in HK, arriving in time for the funeral on Saturday afternoon.

  The first night our HK uncle brought us for supper, dessert and up Victoria's Peak. The next day I brought them to Tim Ho Wan for breakfast, then we took the star ferry and walked around the Avenue of Stars, which I have never been to either. Then I brought them to my campus and met some of my friends. It was so surreal having my siblings in my dorm! They were quite hungry so they actually ate their sister's poor dorm-cooked food. I took lots of pictures, because I was sure I couldn't imagine they were really there after they leave. Then uncle treated us to a most delicious Shanghainese dinner. On Friday we planned to go to Ocean Park (Zac badly badly wanted to get on a roller coaster (his first time) and see real life pandas!) but uncle said it would be too much of a rush and it wouldn't be worth it. Ee ee brought us to the Science Museum instead, and we sort of hung out with the family until it was time to board. I think uncle would prefer if Val was here instead of me! She's so talkative and friendly, asking uncle all these questions and talking to our cousin Edwin too. Usually when I see them I don't talk much- I just smile. Gah! Anyway we didn't get to do much but they're coming again next year!!!












  I spent my birthday in Kuching. Wasn't much of a celebration since Kong's funeral was the day before. We didn't mention it to any of the extended family. During the family luncheon, Nick Koko surprised me with a cake! And my nephews Ezekiel and Sebastian (the cutie pie and my favourite!) had just as much fun playing with the chocolate cake as eating it. The girls in HK asked me to skype with them and I found them all with a mini cake and candles, singing over the video call and then making me watch them eat it! xD When I came back I was well and truly surprised by them- one of them called me and said she left her book in my common room and that she couldn't come back in since it was after 'visiting hours', so I had to bring it down for her. They (the girls and some Malaysians as well) were all downstairs with a cake! And I was in my jammies!!! But it was a very nice pick-me-up after a sad and brief weekend back home. 





  After that I was basically busy with another midterm exam and iGEM. During the midterm break (mid April) I made a spontaneous decision to follow the Malaysians to Macau! I was very surprised to find it quite different from HK- even the weather! We had endless egg tarts (eating one everytime we saw a stall that sells it) and I spent a lot of money on food! It was worth it though, enjoyed myself a great deal.






*atm*



  

No comments: