Thursday, April 10, 2014

Bye, Kong.


  I remember staying in 747, Kenyalang Park during one of our holiday trips back to Kuching. Kong always smelt of cigarette smoke, frequently shirtless with a chain around his neck. He had a 'workshop' at the outside area near the kitchen filled with knickknacks he made and carpentry tools which were an endless source of fascination for us. He usually spoke to us in Mandarin, and he loved giving us long lectures about life and our faith (his lectures were mixed with some sentences in English). Dad says we get public speaking skills from him. I don't remember much, but I have an impression that he talked with a hint of humour and sarcasm, and I know he used to sigh aloud all the time and shrug in a resigned way.

  He had a secret handshake with the three of us which involved rolling your fists one in front of the other and ending with palms on each other's chest as if imparting a blessing. I regret that I don't remember exactly how it went. He came to stay with us in Kajang once. He loved to sit in the car porch and work on his projects. He collected coconuts (from the coconut tress surrounding the playground near our house?) and cut them in half, screwing them together to make a bowl with a stand. He modified his belt to keep money in a concealed zipper! Once Val and I were playing badminton in front of the Taman Intan house and Val went back in for some reason, and I was waiting for her. Kong came out and said he'll play with me. I was very worried and I told him he shouldn't but he insisted. In trying to hit the shuttlecock, he somehow stumbled against the stationary car and injured his knee. I thought that was the end of the world!

  Since we moved back to Kuching, he's been in the nursing home, and he usually doesn't remember who I am unless someone yells in his ear and tells him. He always says that he wants to go 'home', why doesn't God bring him back? I am very glad that we got to spend some time with him during the last CNY, watching him enjoying the mandarin oranges we brought him like a young child. During the week-long funeral prayers only did I recall that he used to bring a camera around to take pictures. It was delightful to see all the forgotten pictures he took of us and with us. 

  I think the last time we talked properly was during my cousin's wedding in 2008. He was already bound to a wheelchair. Before the luncheon started, I was assigned to keep him company. I tried to talk to him, asking him where he got the watch he always wears. He replied, "It was a gift from my youngest son" in Hokkien. I was like, "You mean my dad?" And he sort of looked at me like, really?!

  Thinking about past events makes me realise how strong a religious faith my grandfather had. Kong, pray for all of us down here so that we may have faith like you did. Rest in peace, Kong. 


"The race well run, your duty's done,
all glory to the Trinity above.

But as we journey still towards the Son,

guide us we pray, with your fatherly love."









您的孙女,
婷梅

No comments: