Friday, March 7, 2014

"When are you planning to get married?!"

Dear jumjum...

  I never knew that my family was unaware of the fact that I wish to stay in school for as long as possible, meaning I would want to get my PhD if I can (chances are looking pretty slim as of now). Double majoring has never crossed my mind before, as I always believed that I would only study the subject I enjoy, and hands down, that's Biology. 

  Lately my friends have been talking about minoring in this, double majoring in that; and in training to join a certain competition I realised how beneficial it is to have broad knowledge of the different fields in science if I plan to have a career in research. One of my friends have influenced me to minor in computer science, which she thinks I will enjoy based on our brief experience together. Those who know me know that I am a complete computer noob who types at snail's pace and would rather write her notes on paper. I never saw myself willingly doing any sort of computer course- but now I am seriously considering it. 

  Recently, I voiced my thoughts to my parents over a video call. Dad took it calmly and sensibly but Mum's reaction was one of absolute horror. She was like, "Why do you want to stress yourself out? Are you sure you can handle it?" LOL! She's so cute. Whenever I talk to her and mention any stress or hardship- however small, her reply is always the same- "Come back and study in Swinburne, la. You'll have a car to drive and cooked food on the table." Now, I consider my mum a moderately modern-thinking woman but when I told them about options for doing my postgraduate studies she exploded in "Huh? How many years will that be? When are you planning to get married?!!!!"

  Oh dear.

*atm*
  

2 comments:

Terence said...

Hahaha. Your mom is so funny.

Yummilicious said...

Do not listen to you mother about studying back home. don't come back! you are doing great there.