Saturday, February 4, 2017

About Cats

Dear jumjum...

I used to hate cats. I loathed the way they stare at you, all high and mighty-ly, as if you are an inferior being. I loathed it when I eat out by the roadside and a stray cat walks under the table and brushes against my bare legs. I suffer with the lingering bushy feeling and thoughts of contamination until I can finally soap and wash my legs.

Right before I left for uni, my brother Zac begin to have an affiliation for cats. When I met my first and closest friend in uni, I referred to her as Siao Ngiao or 'Crazy Cat' to my family. This is a little hard to explain. Basically, after a week or two of getting to know her, Patricia and I passed her validation period and she started to show her true colours. From a shy, quiet little Korean girl, she morphed into a dynamic, unpredictable, explosive girl who couldn't care less about anyone's opinion of her. And she was crazy about cats. She would meow in the lift if she felt like it (which is very often). She would also claw at us in public. When I first started calling her Siao Ngiao, we were summer roommates she overheard my conversation and asked if it meant 'roommate'! 

Our first picture together (which she edited, of course)

Ms Cat couldn't care less that we were taking a group photo..

Thanks to the global cat epidemic, I started to pay attention to the flood of cat videos online, and tagged my crazed brother and friend in cat videos. I was unconscious to the gradual effect it had on me over the past 3 years until last December, when Zac dragged my dad and I to a cat cafe in Bangkok. Now, you have to understand that although I was quite unenthusiastic about going, I never refuse my baby brother anything. It was my first time patting cats and the eroded walls around my heart came crashing down. I liked the big cats down to the little kitties. I found their cold behaviour and fierce attitude in getting what they want quite endearing.

        


  



 Zac: "So many cats to pat but only two hands..."












In January, I met Soba and I fell in love. She belonged to the family that my sister and brother rented rooms from in KL. Soba is the prettiest, most adorable cat (with the FLUFFIEST tail) I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Soba is such a princess, she doesn't like to be stared at and the only way to lure her out was to turn our backs to her and ignore her. When she walks, she sort of hops at the same time, with her little butt in the air. She is super energetic. She lives to be adored by all: she identifies the person in the room who loves her least (Mum) and targets all her antics at her. When mum is alone in the kitchen with her, she meows for her attention. When I stayed with them, playing with her was our first priority every morning. Now that my siblings have moved out of that house, I doubt I will ever see Soba again, but the effect she had on me will be eternal!


  

*atm*

No comments: