Friday, July 8, 2016

A Chain of Events

Dear jumjum...

For the 4th of July holidays, I decided to cave in my room and watch movies. While filling the kettle, I dropped my phone into the sink (stupid!)...right into the only thing in the sink: a bowl full of water. My phone was functional, but wouldn't charge. In fact, it started to anti-charge: the longer I plugged it in, the more the power drained from the battery. I tried to incubate it in rice (legend has it that this attracts the Asians, who will fix it for you), but to no avail.

I forgot how disabled I am without a phone. Without an alarm clock, I woke up with 15 minutes to get ready. Ironically, my desk clock decided that it was the perfect morning to go haywire. I thought I woke up with ample time to get ready and was so relieved, until I turned my laptop on and happened to glance at the time. Thanks a lot, clockie. I brought both my backpack and sling bag to work, in addition to my phone charger, three-pin-to-two-pin adapter, and powerbank (at this point, phoney was flat, and I knew I would have to charge it after repair). I ended up leaving work in a hurry, stuffing everything I needed from my backpack to my sling bag, since I planned to leave my heavy-ass laptop at work. 






I located the phone repair shop from the addresses I copied down (no mean feat, this girl is totally reliant on her GPS), and they took an hour to repair it. I then met with Mika's friends for an awesome Thai dinner, and then my first ever musical afterwards: Fiddler on the Roof! I was thoroughly entertained by the singing and Russian dancing. I was riding back on the subway in happy contentment until I realised....



...that I had left my key in my backpack, at the lab. !!!

Thank goodness my flatmate was still awake to let me in. She told me that I can call maintenance to open my room door for me, with a $30 fee. After spending money to repair my phone AND watch a play, I was hesitant. Luckily for me, my flatmate just had someone stay over recently, and she has yet to put away the electrically-powered self inflatable bed in the living room. So other than no jumjum to hug and sleeping in the same clothes, I wasn't really roughing it out at all.



I woke up in a pretty good mood, until I was waiting for the shuttle bus and felt something down my back. It was my necklace, broken and dangling off my shoulder...and the pendant was nowhere to be found. I was super panicky and upset, because Val and Zac got it for me for my 21st, and it meant a lot to me. Apparently Zac had a hand in choosing it, which is a rare and precious occurrence. I decided to miss the bus and tried in vain to retrace my steps and find it, until I called Mum and she forbade me to. I felt super sad because I usually take off my necklaces in my room and keep it in a specific spot, but since I was not in my room (indirectly due to my carelessness of dropping my phone, leading to me bringing the phone repair stuff, and not my keys), I decided to leave it on. I must have pulled on the chain in my sleep and weakened it. Gahhhhh. I did consider taking it off, but I was afraid that I would lose it, since I didn't have a proper place for it. Fat lot of difference that made! It was small and dainty and right up my alley. And... I think that it cost them a lot. :(

The only silver lining to this is how my family reacted to this, and how they comforted the spoilt cry baby of the family. In hindsight, I am very spoilt. Thanks again for the awesome present, siblings. We may have parted ways but I will always remember it and the love that came with it!







*atm*

No comments: