Monday, February 15, 2016

Revolutionary Road and Me


Dear jumjum...

Revolutionary Road revolves around a couple in the mid-twentieth century. The wife is unsatisfied with her mundane life and believes that they are meant for something more, something better. The husband is a clueless man who really doesn't know how to deal with his wife, making a bad situation worse. Nothing extraordinary happens in this movie, but the dynamics of the couple is revealed through the flatness.

In their final fight, the wife refused to react to her husband's confession that he had an affair. She claimed that she feels nothing, that she doesn't care about him anymore. Her husband tried to force some emotion out of her, and she threatened him by screaming when he touched her. While watching that scene, I saw myself in her. I have the tendency to dramatise, I think I even like the drama. Especially when I feel wronged, I want to make the other party feel the way I feel, or feel anything as much as I do. 

I play the 'Victimized' card.

When we were kids, my sister and I would write short stories. Years later, we realised that we both steered towards writing stories of dramatic victimisation. The stories were usually about little orphan girls who were maltreated and friendless. Even the books we chose to read were so: Chinese Cinderella, When Marnie Was There, A Little Princess. I remember reading those stories and getting a kick out of how tragic their lives were. The more tragic, it seemed, the better. 

I worry..

*atm*

No comments: