Saturday, February 13, 2016

CNY 2016 and Back to HK

Dear jumjum...

T'was the busiest winter break. I was assigned by Dad to replace our old television and also to get a cabinet for it (our old one was massive and could stand on its on). Having never purchased anything so costly before, I approached the task with extreme caution and thorough research. Mum and I went to at least 6 electronic appliances shops, had an hour of lecture on SUHDs, UHDs and four-basic-colored screens. We then went to 6 more furniture shops to look for a cabinet, purchasing and even returning one with hidden defects. I went around with a measuring tape permanently in my bag. After all that, I formed an opinion that shops should stop playing colourful demo videos that are extremely unreal. I mean, we aren't paying to watch demo videos! As a buyer, I want to know how an actual movie looks like on your screen, especially since my mum and I are averse to screens that over-enhance the pictures, making everything look artificial. I made all the sales assistants play me actual movie clips before we made our decision.

Other than the great TV-buying adventure, there was the pre-CNY preparations, spending time with Cam and Lionel (alternating eating and exercising), and applying for summer exchange. When I finally heard back from someone (thanks to some harassing done by my prof), I spent days going over his research- making notes and jotting down questions to ask. The interview was at 5:30 am my time, and Cam kindly got up early to let me into her house, since my home internet is extremely unstable. After waiting for 10 minutes and still no call, I was fretting that I gave him the wrong Skype name, or that I mixed up the time, etc. It was an extremely short interview, over in about 5 minutes? Thank goodness. I was expecting intense cross-questioning but got nothing of the sort.

It's funny how Kuchingites spend weeks preparing for CNY, but the celebrations zoom by over a few days' time. It was a rainy CNY, and we didn't do much visiting- neither with my family nor with my friends. I think my friends are getting old. While visiting, the majority of them now prefer plain water to soft drinks, even shandy! We started our gathering much later than we used to, and stayed so long at one house gambling that we only managed three houses in one day. It was a slight disappointment, since it was my last day in Kuching, and my first time visiting on 初三 in two years. Also, it was Ash Wednesday, so I was fasting, and could only drink water despite the array of goodies that was before me.





I am a miserly person when it comes to certain things, and paying to select a flight seat is one of them. I usually let the airline surprise me. It usually isn't too bad, but this time, I was put in the very last row (where one hears the toilet flushing every time someone goes in to do their business), and at the extreme left corner, squished against the window and the wall (thanks, AirAsia!) When I sat down, I felt extremely claustrophobic and had the panicky urge to kick and push the seat in front of me to give myself some space. It was extremely uncomfortable, until I talked some sense into myself and went to sleep. 

It was a bit surreal leaving in the middle of CNY celebrations to come back to classes and catching up with studies. But after 5 minutes of adjustment, it feels like I never even left. I was doubting if we had soccer training today, since the campus has been extremely misty, and I can barely see the field from my room window, even though it is just across the road. I do the most embarrassing things at soccer practice. Today I sprained my ankle while running back after catching a runaway ball. Smooth, Jacq, real smooth!



*atm*

No comments: