Thursday, June 18, 2015

Sentimental?

Dear jumjum...

I recently started working on a summer project in a lab studying the zebrafish model, and I was jokingly asked if I 'communicate' with the fish. I answered that I will avoid 'befriending' the fish at all costs, lest at some point I need to kill them. I was then asked if I am i sentimental person.

Well.

I only answered with a simple yes, but it reminded me of an incident that made me realise for the first time how ridiculously sentimental I am.

When I was 4 or 5 years old, my dad brought my sister and I on a boat trip with his friends. My mum prepared a container of Jacob's biscuits for us in case we got hungry. I don't remember much about the trip, except what happened when we disembarked. It was nighttime, and my dad was telling me to watch my step while we got off the boat. In my concentration, I somehow let go of the food container in my hand- plop it went into the sea, and I frantically asked my dad to retrieve it. However, it was rapidly carried away by the currents, and I watched it float into the darkness. I still remember that it had a purple cover with a clear plastic bottom. I was inconsolable.

I felt sad because my mum had caringly prepared it for us, and I had so carelessly lost it. To me it was as if I let my mum's act of love go to waste. Yes, I am aware that it sounds ridiculous, as I was aware of it at the time, but I was still upset. Dad and his friend tried to comfort me by saying that some poor kampung boy in need of a container might find it and treasure it.
.....and that far-fetched idea actually did make me feel better! XD

*atm*

No comments: